Sunday, June 29, 2008

Greens 'n Grits Benedict Y'all


I recently read a wonderful cookbook called Shrimp & Grits by Nathalie Dupree and was inspired by her Shrimp & Grits Eggs Benedict recipe. The recipe entails using grits as the base...Brilliant!!
So Sunday morning came and I was on it. I did tweek the recipe a little (creative license) by using sharp cheddar (not parmesan) in the grits, grilling the cakes instead of breading and sauteing, smoked turkey instead of ham (daughters request), adding greens (Swiss chard)..oh, and no shrimp. OK...maybe I tweeked it more than a little, the important thing is that I used the grits. I love grits...I know some people are not a fan (what's wrong with you?), I can only hope they have had them properly prepared* before they decide to condem them. The result was delicious...maybe next time I will try the panko for the grits to add more texture, but I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we did...my daughter had seconds!!
* some use milk instead of water, the important thing is to not make them runny.

No comments: