Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes


I normally wait until I have had enough ripened tomatoes (20 days and counting) from my garden to use green tomatoes. But this weekend at Soulard Market I found them...Score! The process is very simple; Wash and slice the tomatoes horizontally 1/4" thick and dredge in seasoned flour(flour,black pepper and corn meal). Heat your pan to medium heat with butter and oil(covering the bottom with just a little more) and saute the tomatoes on each side until brown (2-3 min each side). Drain on a paper towel lightly salt and enjoy! If you have never had them, they have a wonderful tart flavor that is very different from the ripened fruit. We had these as an appetizer with some chili mayo for dipping, but they go great with BBQ, fried fish...you name it! I have an interesting recipe for green tomato pie I am going to give a try. Good eats!

No comments: